Thursday, July 18, 2013

Meeting with the Neurosurgeon


I met with the Neurosurgeon today, and I liked him right away. His dry sense of humor clicked well with mine; the way he explained things was easy for me to understand, while making sure that I saw the big picture at the same time. I learned more about the human brain in a 15 minute appointment than I ever have before! We discussed my case, and hopefully he can get me in as soon as possible, so that I can recover and be ready for fall semester of school.

At the appointment, my eyes were opened to the reality of surgery; the topic that was once in the future is finally here. My original idea that I had thought of for surgery was quite different than what the Neurosurgeon proposed to me today. I thought that they would shave part of my hair above my right ear, and make the incision for surgery. Today, he said that the location of the malformation involves an incision on the top of my head in the shape of the letter C, but hidden and small (it won’t be too noticeable). I had some peace about having part of my hair shaved! Also, I was told that they will be cutting part of the muscle on my jaw in the process, so I will have to work my way up from easy to eat food, to normal food.

After the appointment, I felt so overwhelmed about the whole situation. I was paying attention to what he was telling me, but the feeling of fear hit me, and I felt sick to my stomach. It is a lot to process, and I don’t know how to feel about it. The exact date for surgery is not set, but it will hopefully be very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment