Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Recovery



I was discharged from the hospital on the 31st, and I am surprised at how well the recovery process has gone. The few days after I got home were the most “painful” days that I have had so far. I would get up to move, and my head would start to throb; I laid down, and took naps with my head propped up to avoid pain.

Later in the week, I was up and walking around with minimal pain. The only pain I have had recently is the discomfort of the staples in my scalp (I got them out today); I felt like a teenager again waiting to get my braces off. People have been surprised at how fast I have been recovering, because I am out and about walking around as if surgery didn’t happen.

It hit me today, that a week ago yesterday, I had brain surgery. Within just one week, I have had a great recovery, and am feeling better than ever! From start to finish, my Neurosurgeon has been beyond amazing every step of the way. I couldn’t have asked for a better Neurosurgeon.

I will still have to take seizure medications for a year or so, but I can’t wrap my mind around the idea that there is a possibility that I could never have another seizure again, or that my seizures could be reduced. My lifestyle these past two years of seizures, medication changes, and side effects that have affected my daily life, will no longer be my life anymore. I don’t have to worry anymore; I can live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment