Sunday, September 15, 2013

Memories of the Day of Surgery


The night before surgery was just like any other night. I thought that I would be wide-awake because of nervousness, but I slept soundly until my alarm went off. Even as I was grabbing my things to go to the hospital, I was completely calm.

When we arrived, I looked at the hospital with no fear when I got out of the car. On the way to check in for surgery, I received a text message from my brother that made me tear up; it was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment.

My mom and I went to check in for surgery, and it felt like I was checking in for a normal appointment. I filled out paper work, and was guided to a hospital room for pre-surgical evaluation.

About an hour later, they wheeled me to the operating room. I was okay until I had to hug my mom goodbye, and that was when the emotions hit. I remember waiting in the hall outside the operating room trying to fight back the tears.

A few minutes later, my Neurosurgeon talked to me and said, “Are you ready for surgery?” with a smile on his face. I remember thinking, “How is he so calm? He is about to perform BRAIN SURGERY!”

Finally, I entered the operating room where the staff was listening to music and talking like it was just another day at the office. I was transferred from my hospital bed to the operating table where I was then strapped down. A mask was placed over my nose and mouth, and a doctor told me to take 10 deep breaths. Before I knew it, I was out. The surgery lasted about three and a half hours.

I don’t remember waking up, but both my mom and Neurosurgeon told me that I was speaking to them entirely in French! To this day, I have no clue what I said, but it was good to know that the French part of my brain is still in tact. ;)
P.S. I have been seizure-free for almost two months now!

No comments:

Post a Comment